Followers

Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Popular Posts

Friday, May 9, 2008

Jason Castro, Dreadlocked Folk Singer



Although he had very little screen time prior to the announcement of the Top 24, Jason Castro quickly developed a huge fan base. His laid-back style, unique look and musical talent were evident from the first time he hit the stage, singing “Daydream.”

Prior to AI, Jason took part in the MTV series Cheyenne. He was one of the rare contestants this year without a background of previous music industry experience.

This week Jason performed two songs from the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame: “I Shot the Sheriff” and “Mr. Tambourine Man.” Right before Ryan announced that he was going home, Jason said that someone told him that he’d “shot the tambourine man.” Jason’s great sense of humor is one of the things that will be missed the most.

From his AI home page:
Q: How do you plan on differentiating yourself in the competition?
A: I think we are all very different, so just being me will be the key.

Q: Do you have any rituals or things you do before you perform?
A: I pray and then visualize my stellar performance and go through it silently and visually. I get pumped and jump around/stretch.

In his AOL interview, he promises that he did not deliberately flub his lyrics this week nor did he try to sabotage himself to get voted off the show. He does however admit that the pressure of the show was getting hard to handle.

Regarding the benefits of being on AI, Jason says: “You are never guaranteed anything in this business but I think we've all been given the opportunity to have some exposure. Now people know who you are and maybe take a second to listen.”

Jason talks about the tour in his EW exit interview: “I'm so excited. I can't wait. It's going to be a blast. I have some ideas what I'm going to sing. Maybe one or two I didn't do on the show.”

About his fans, Jason says, “I can't even wrap my head around it. There are people that love me and support me and it's so weird knowing I could put out an album and they would buy it. It is just crazy. I think I have the best fans because every day I get more letters than everybody. More postcards, more packages. I have a life-size plush panther in my room. I got fruit baskets and 150 balloons yesterday because they heard I was sick. They show me a lot of love and it's really cool.”

Keeping in touch... Jason’s fan website and his myspace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment