Followers

Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Popular Posts

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Carly Smithson, Lovely Irish Lass



Practically from the moment that season seven began, Carly Smithson (née Hennessy) has had a cloud of controversy over her pretty Irish head. A few years ago, when Carly was in her teens, she recorded an album called Ultimate High. The fact that it was not successful was well publicized at the time.

This season was not her first AI “rodeo” either. She auditioned a couple years ago but could not compete due to visa issues. Also, there were many AI fans who felt that Carly was a “plant” and her prior recording experience should cause her to be disqualified.

Throughout the entire season, Carly has maintained her dignity despite the hullabaloo. Her talent speaks for itself. She is an amazing singer and very much deserved her time on the show.

No matter the past failures, Carly’s time on American Idol was well spent. As the judges said after her ousting Wednesday night, she should be proud of herself.

From her AI home page:

Q: Do you have any lucky charms?
A: Are you serious? I'm Irish. I'm sure I do.

In her AOL interview she says that she was upbeat about her exit: “I feel like American Idol has given me such a gift, you know, such a platform to launch myself off of. And no more theme songs! I'm actually not that sad to be leaving. I enjoyed every minute thoroughly.”

Here is one mystery solved -
Q: What is the significance of your Amy Winehouse tattoo?
A: It's a geisha. It looks nothing like Amy Winehouse. It's just not colored in. It's actually been on my arm for two years before she even came out so when it's colored in you'll all understand. But it's so funny, even Andrew Lloyd Weber said, "Oh look you have Amy Winehouse on your arm."

Quote from her EW interview: “I listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd all day, and I drive a truck. I'm hardly going to go out and give a pop performance. That's just not who I am. I always have a little bit of an edge to what I do.”

Keeping in touch... Carly’s AI page and wikipedia page.

No comments:

Post a Comment