Followers

Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Popular Posts

Friday, April 11, 2008

Michael Johns, Wonder from Down Under


From the moment he walked into the audition room in San Diego and sang an Otis Redding song, Michael Johns blew us away. He is a seasoned professional with many years of experience performing as lead singer of bands such as The Rising.

Although his early elimination was a shocker this week, this will not be the last we hear of the handsome blues/rock singer from Perth, Australia.

From his AI home page:

Q: What would people be surprised to learn about you?
A: I like chick flicks.

Q: What album would your friends be surprised you own?
A: The Wiggles.

In his exit interview, he says that he was shocked to be voted off because he’d never previously been in the bottom three. What got him through the rest of the night? “There was a moment when I took a really deep breath in and I saw my wife and she said, 'I love you.'”

As the oldest contestant this year, he nicknamed himself “Papa Johns.”

Michael also addresses his fans: “I've been getting letters and flowers and all sorts of gifts and stuff. Thank you and I'll see you on tour. And I'm going to give you guys a good record by next year.”

As for song choice, Michael has no regrets for choosing the Aerosmith song “Dream On.” He explains, “I'm living my dream and that song's all about heartache and struggle and overcoming things and I've done that in the last 10 years. Living in America and getting to live my dreams.”

He also has no regrets about his wardrobe: “I mean, the ascot that killed America? It was a fun outfit and it was time to step it up a little bit stylistically and I went for it. No regrets there.”

Michael believes that his best performance during the competition was the bluesy rendition of Dolly Parton’s “It’s All Wrong But It’s All Right.” (I totally agree with that.) He believes that he stayed true to himself and his musical roots.

My theory for Michael’s premature ousting is that it was a combination of the “curse” of going first and that the tweener votes are going to the younger contestants.

Keeping in touch... Michael’s myspace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment