Followers

Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fabio Capello Ends David's England Career

Fabio Capello started the season by ending an era when he blew the final whistle on David Beckham's England career. Capello told the British broadcaster ITV that Beckham is "probably a bit too old" to play for his country again, adding: "I thank (David) very much for helping me at the World Cup.”

When speaking before the England match today, Capello said: "I hope when David is okay he can play here the last game at Wembley in a friendly to say goodbye and thank you very much to the crowd. I won't be picking him for any more competitive matches. David is a fantastic player, he was really important, but we have to see the new players for the future because the age is important for a lot of people, not only for David."

This comes as a shock not only to fans, but to the Beckham camp as well. David and Fabio Capello did not even discuss this matter before the England manager went public. "Did I phone him before I went on television? No. I think I will speak with him. We tried to speak with him. I think David knows that he has no future with the national team because we have to change. It’s only eight people who played in the World Cup are here. I have to change. I have to look for new players. I have to think about the future."

Davids agent reacted to the news by sending BBC Sport a statement which dismissed the prospect of the 35-year-old announcing his retirement in the wake of Capello's frank admission. The statement read: "For your info, there has been no discussion of retirement. He will always be available for his country, when fit and if needed he will be there.''

Steven Gerrard backed Beckham to keep fighting to add to his caps and does not think the former England skipper will take this latest setback lying down. He said: "I'm sure that if he hears that news, it'll drive him on and he'll try to prove people wrong and try to get back in the set-up because I know he loves playing for England. David can hold his head up high for the service he's given to the England team. Legendary status, without a doubt. He's put a long shift in as an England player. He's had some fantastic performances, some fantastic goals, memories. He was a fantastic captain. I've learnt a lot from David and it's been a pleasure to play alongside him. If he has played his last game, he'll certainly be missed because, both on and off the pitch, he's a great guy."

Fellow midfielder Gareth Barry also hopes he adds to his caps: "I'm not sure what David's feelings towards that is. Hopefully, that won't be the end. He'll keep fighting. I know he'll probably want to. Everyone knows what an icon and a legend he is."

I, for one, am in a state of complete shock and a bit of disgust. I can't believe he wasn't contacted before this. For a man of David's calibur and loyalty towards his country, the least thing Capello could have done was discussed this matter with him first. I'm really at a loss for words...
source: ESPN, DailyMail, Telegraph.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment